Francoise - Weekly Nurse Practitioner
Nurse Practitioners (NPs) deliver a range of health care services to First Nations individuals, families and communities. Our Nurse Practitioner, Francoise, visits weekly on Monday's between 9:00am - 12:00pm and provides a valuable first contact for any health concerns for any of our members.
Nurse Practitioners (NPs) deliver a range of health care services to First Nations individuals, families and communities. The nurse practitioner can provide specific advice on health concerns including:
- Women's health
- Youth health
- Mental health and wellness
- Other health issues
Nurse Practitioners are nurses with advanced knowledge and clinical skills which enable them to:
- Diagnose and treat diseases, disorders and chronic conditions
- Order diagnostic interventions, laboratory tests and medications
- Manage medical conditions
- Refer patients to specialists
- Act as health advocates for Aboriginal members
Working with the interdisciplinary teams and physicians in each community, Nurse Practitioners also assist with health promotion, illness prevention and treatment, health education, awareness, counselling and education to reduce some of the more chronic health concerns facing community members such as diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, addictions and mental health issues. Nurse practitioners working in Aboriginal health centres are mindful of cultural practices, approaches and traditional medicines that support holistic care and services.
As an Indigenous patient, you have a right to:
- Ask questions about your health care.
- Be acknowledged as an individual.
- Be cared for in a respectful, dignified and culturally safe manner by competent health care professionals.
- Be consulted and actively participate in decisions about your health care.
- Freedom from verbal, physical and sexual abuse, or neglect.
- Get a second opinion from another doctor.
- Privacy and confidentiality of your health information.
- Request access to the information in your health record.
- Refuse to have students, residents and other training present during your appointment or examination.
- Refuse treatment, unless you have a serious communicable disease that could harm other people such as TB or Syphilis.