Community Health Nurse
Every Monday - Thursday, from 8:30-4:30pm, Esquimalt Nations' community health nurse Stephanie is available for community members. She offers foot care for diabetics, childhood immunizations, flu vaccines, pre and post natal education, baby weights, referrals for home and community programs such as physiotherapy, home care nursing, home supports, occupational therapy, dietician, speech and language therapy.
Stephanie also supports clients to navigate Plan Wellness (First Nations Health Benefits Program).
About the First Nations Health Benefits Program
The First Nations Health Authority (FNHA) Health Benefits program provides a number of health-related goods and services to meet medical and dental needs not covered by provincial, territorial, or other third party health insurance plans for BC First Nations.
The FNHA Health Benefits program currently includes coverage for:
- Medical Supplies & Equipment (MS&E)
- Medical Transportation
- Mental Health - Crisis Intervention (Short Term)
- MSP - BC Medical Service Plan (CareCard)
- Vision Care
The program strives to provide health benefits to BC First Nations peoples in a manner that:
- Is appropriate to the unique health needs of BC First Nations
- Leads to improved overall health so that BC First Nations health status is comparable to other Canadians
- Is financially sustainable
- Facilitates empowerment of individuals to access health programs and services as and when they need it
- Focuses health services towards wellness and prevention